Spinal Cord Injury Alberta

Residential Access Modification Program (RAMP)

The Residential Access Modification Program (RAMP) provides grants to help lower-income Albertans with mobility challenges modify their homes so they can enter and move around more easily.


RAMP Fact Sheet


SCI Alberta Forms


Ramp Application Checklist & Application Form

Aboriginal Band Council Resolution Form


Additional Forms


RAMP Application Instructions Part One

RAMP Application Instructions Part Two

RAMP Sponsored Application Form

RAMP Allowable Modifications List

Frequently Asked Questions

 How much funding can I get through the RAMP grants?

You can apply for a RAMP grant for up to $7,500 annually and up to a maximum of $15,000 within a 10-year benefit period.


 Who is eligible for a RAMP grant?

  • All wheelchair users, regardless of age, who meet program criteria (homeowner, tenants, and people living with family).
  • Canadian citizens or permanent residents who have lived in Alberta for 90 continuous days and have a valid Personal Health Number
  • Aboriginal people living off- and on-reserve .
  • People with the following progressive neuro-degenerative diseases: multiple sclerosis, muscular dystrophy, ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease), COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), non-recovering stroke victim, Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's disease, spina bifida, and/or spinal cord injuries or a walker on an ongoing basis.
  • Seniors aged 65+ who are using a wheelchair or a 4-wheel walker on an ongoing basis.
  • More than one wheelchair user per household may apply for a RAMP grant.  However, the applications must be for separate modifications on the same property.



If a homeowner’s or a rental property has the following caveats registered on Land Titles the property will not be eligible for a grant to modify the property unless the caveats are removed:

  • Lis Pendens: filed by a spouse against a property due to an impending marriage dissolution to protect their interest in the property.
  • Municipal Tax Caveat: registered by a municipality against a property for non-payment of municipal property taxes. This is a step towards seizure and sale for non-payment of property taxes.


 What are the income guidelines?

To be eligible, you must have a total gross adjusted household income of $36,900 or less. If applicable, this amount can be increased under these circumstances:

  • Amount can be increased by $9,600 if you have a spouse (married or common-law). This means you can collectively earn up to $46,500.
  • Amount can be increased by $9,600 for each child under 21 years of age still living at home and attending school full-time (applies to natural and adopted children).
  • If you are applying for a dependent child (under the age of 18 years and still living at home attending school full-time) who is using a wheelchair, you may add an additional $7,131 to your allowable income.
  • RAMP does not accept $0 income assessments. RAMP considers all types of gross annual income. If necessary, RAMP will provide a Statutory Declaration for income for the applicant(s) which is to be completed in the presence of an active Alberta Commissioner for Oaths. After the Commissioner signs and stamps the form, the applicant must return it to the RAMP office along with the RAMP application. This applies to all applicants receiving income from reserves; insurance benefits; new applicants to AISH because of age or traumatic accident; and Albertans on Employment Insurance due to employment loss. The Statutory Declaration will account for the annual gross income of either the previous calendar year or the current calendar year (from January 1st thru to December 31st of the same year) for the applicant(s).
  • If an applicant is sponsored into Canada the maximum gross annual income for the household is $36,900 gross annually (this includes the income of the applicant, the applicant’s spouse [if applicable], the sponsor, and the sponsor’s spouse [if applicable]).


 What if I bought a home recently?

  • If, within the last 24 months before your RAMP application, you bought a home that exceeds the property threshold value in your area, you are not eligible to receive a RAMP grant.
  • The property threshold value still applies if you build or move a home onto land that you or your family previously owned.
  • If there is more than one person (the applicant) listed on the land title as a registered owner, the value of the purchased property is not diluted amongst the owners.  For example, if there are four registered owners listed on a personal residence title, and the value of the property is $1,000,000, the applicant’s portion is not considered to be $250,000 – it is the total value of the property: $1,000,000.  This value remains the same regardless if the four owners are listed as joint tenants or whether they are listed as a percentage owner.
  • The current property values, applied by RAMP within Alberta, are listed on the Homeowner/Tenant application form on page 13 in the Instructions section of the Application.
  • The major centres in Alberta also have a number of environ communities (bedroom communities), which are considered at the same level of value as the centre. These communities include:
Airdrie Conrich Irricana
Balzac Crossfield Lyalta
Bragg Creek Delacour Priddis
Cochrane De Winton Strathmore
Beaumont Kapasiwin Seba Beach
Betula Beach Lakeview Summer Village Spring Lake
Bon Accord Leduc St. Albert
Bruderheim Leduc County Stony Plain
Calahoo Legal Strathcona County
Calmar Morinville Sherwood Park
Devon New Sarepta Sturgeon County
Fort Saskatchewan Nisku Sundance Beach
Gibbons Parkland County Thorsby
Golden Days Point Alison Summer Village Wabamun
Itaska Beach Redwater Warburg
Grande Prairie
Clairmont Grovedale  
Coalhurst Nobleford Stirling
Diamond City Picture Butte Tempest
Magrath Shaughnessy  
Medicine Hat
Dunmore Redcliff  
Irvine Seven Persons  
Wood Buffalo
Fort Chipewyan Fort McMurray  


What are the guidelines around the modifications?

  • The house that is being modified must be your primary residence, and it must be in Alberta.
  • You can own or rent the house that is being modified. 
  • Grants are meant primarily for permanent modifications, but RAMP program staff will review requests for temporary modifications on a case-by-case basis.
  • Modifications must facilitate access into or movement within a home, as per program guidelines.
  • Refer to the Floor Covering section on page 20 of the Instructions for the type of floor covering that RAMP may fund.
  • Refer to the Instructions on page 21 of the Instructions in the Ramps section for the type of material that may be funded by RAMP.


 What if I don't own the place where I live?


If you don't own the place you live in, you can still apply.

Your landlord must approve the modification. Your landlord will need to fill out the Property Modification Approval form included in the application package.

If you are renting and your landlord does not approve of permanent modifications, you may apply for temporary modifications with the landlord's approval such as:

  • a modular steel or aluminum access ramp (10' lengths with hand rails)
  • a porch lift
  • a stair lift (exterior or interior)


 What if I live on a reserve?

You can still get funding. RAMP grants are available to eligible applicants on-reserve or off-reserve.


 If I did modifications already, can I still apply to be reimbursed?

You are still eligible to apply even if your project is already finished. But you must:

  • Fill out an application.
  • Have your application to RAMP head office within 90 calendar days of the completion date of your project.
  • Applications received after the 90-day calendar period, but within 365 calendar days, are reviewed on a case-by-case basis.


 What if I don't want the modifications to be permanent?

Funding is available for temporary modifications if you are a tenant and your landlord will not allow permanent modifications, but will allow temporary modifications.

Types of temporary modifications are:

  1. Temporary modular steel or aluminum wheelchair ramps (10’ lengths with hand rails)
  2. Porch lifts
  3. Stair lifts (interior or exterior)



  • If a RAMP grant is approved, the project must be completed within 90 days of the approval (unless delays are necessary due to the winter season). Invoices must be submitted to the ministry (Alberta Human Services – RAMP, see RAMP Contact Information) by the vendors, contractors, landlord (property owner) and/or approved applicants. The invoices are to be signed by the applicant, guardian, trustee or enduring power of attorney, agent for a personal directive, and dated to confirm satisfactory project completion, and photographs are to be forwarded to the RAMP program via email (in .jpg format) or mail.
  • Applicants are expected to live at their current address for 10 consecutive years after the modifications have been completed.


 Priority Applications

  • If a person (using a wheelchair) is about to be discharged from a public medical institution, or if a person is deemed to be palliative, their application will be assessed on a priority basis in order to reduce the waiting time for a possible approval.
  • However, RAMP cannot affect or reduce the waiting time required to order equipment, or the time required for a contractor to start or complete any exterior site preparations to accommodate exterior porch lifts or exterior wheelchair ramps because of adverse weather conditions.
  • Red check boxes have been added at the top of the first page of the combined Homeowner / Tenant application to indicate if the applicant is about to be discharged from the hospital or if the applicant is in Palliative care.


 What are the eligible permanent modifications to a home?

  • Modifications that are eligible for the grant are:
    1. Those that facilitate access, and are part of a total access system, by the wheelchair user into their own home or living space; and,
    2. Those that facilitate movement by the wheelchair user within their own home or living space.

Please view the List of Allowable Modifications for more information.


 How do I apply for a RAMP grant?

  • To apply, complete one of the application packages. Please choose the application that is most applicable to your situation.
  • You will also need to complete the supplementary form as it applies to your situation.
  • Alternately, you can contact the RAMP program for an application package, which may be sent to you through mail, fax, or email.



  • RAMP does not have an appeal process. To receive funding for an eligible modification, applicants must meet program criteria. If an application is rejected, an applicant has the opportunity to provide additional or new information and ask for it to be reassessed.
  • The RAMP application will also be reassessed if a rejected installed modification may be altered to comply with program guidelines.


 RAMP Contact Information


Alberta Human Services
12th floor, Milner Building 
10040-104 Street NW 
Edmonton, AB T5J 0Z2 
Phone: (Edmonton local) 780-427-5760
Toll free: 1-877-427-5760
Fax: (Edmonton local) 780-644-8085
Toll free fax: 310-0000 then dial 780-644-8085
Email RAMP