Who We Are
Certified Exercise Physiologists and Athletic Therapists who provide individualized, evidence-based exercise programming for people with spinal cord injury and other physical disabilities.
To inspire and assist individuals with spinal cord injury and other physical disabilities to achieve optimal health and improved quality of life through active living.
Fitness Centre Rates
FES Assessment (I) – $100.00
- Includes 15-20 minute initial consultation to review paperwork and up to 2 hour FES assessment.
- Electrodes are additional.
FES Assessment (R) – $80.00
- With a formal FES referral and initial assessment completed.
- Electrodes are additional.
- 1 hour, one-on-one session – $45.00
- Additional 1/2 hour session extension. – $22.00
- Independent FES session – $11.00
- Lower Extremity (Large) – $42.00
- Lower Extremity (Small) – $30.00
- Upper Extremity – $30.00
- Two 3″ x 4″ electrodes – $10.00
- Four 2″ x 3.5″ electrodes – $12.00
- Four 2″ x 2″ electrodes – $30.00
A 1-hour Personalized one-on-one exercise session.
Work at your own pace.
Please Note: we require all those who are interested in accessing the Spinal Cord Injury Fitness and Wellness Centre to complete our Consent to Participate. Please print and complete this form with your physician prior to your first session.
SCI Fitness & Wellness Centre
About Functional Electrical Stimulation
The Functional Electrical Stimulation (FES) Cycle combines electrical stimulation and assistance from a motor to help people with spinal cord injury or other neurological conditions pedal a stationary bike from their wheelchair. Electrodes are placed on the skin to allow electrical stimulation to reach the muscles to achieve smooth and natural pedaling.
FES can be used by those with impaired or limited movement of the arms, legs, or trunk to achieve health benefits, which include:
- Improved circulation and cardiovascular fitness
- Increased muscle mass
- Maintenance or improvement of bone density
- Fewer pressure sores and less pain are potential benefits
The focus on active living at SCI Alberta has grown tremendously in recent years with the the launch of the SCI Alberta Fitness and Wellness Centre in Calgary. Research is showing that early involvement in adapted physical activity optimizes recovery and leads to better overall health. In collaboration with the Paralympic Sports Association, the Adapted Adventures Program is now being managed by their program staff.
The Full WINTER SPORTS Safety Guide
This guide offers plenty of valuable information such as:
- Eye-opening statistics about winter sports accidents (fact: 75% of people get injured when they lose control after making a jump) as well as the average costs of getting injured on the slopes.
- Practical safety knowledge for winter sports such as understanding colour/shape slope ratings, only skiing on the slope that matches your skill level and ability, and other safety tips.
- Advice and information for parents when skiing or snowboarding with children. This includes helmet and equipment safety knowledge, how to keep kids safe during activities, and what to do in case a child gets injured whilst skiing.
- Other useful resources and information to help keep yourself and those around you safe whilst out on the slopes.